Are they hens or roosters?

Snakechick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
NY
I got two white leghorns for Easter, and i would like to know what gender they are. i'm hoping for females, but from what i'm reading on line, they both seem like males. believe they are 3-4 weeks old, but i'm not 100%. they both look the same so yea.
thanks

Last edited:
Are they rumpless? Or lacking feathers in the tail area? If so, they might be males, because they tend to feather in slowly. But so far one looks like a girl

One of them has small tail feathers, but the other one has a lot. I read that, but i wasnt sure how accurate it was since it was only once.

I've never had show quality birds, all my chicks usually come from hatcheries or neighbors. It's been my experience that the males feather in much slower than the females. My dominique didn't get tail feathers until he was about 8 weeks (but he also got his comb and wattles pretty early). My little barnyard mutt is barely getting his and he's about a month.

That's great to hear!!! Where i live, roosters are illegal, so i would hate to get attached, just to find out that i have to get rid of them. i read that its hard to tell this early, so i'm going to post more pics in a few weeks and see what people say. Thank you sooooo much. These are my first chicks, so idrk anything besides what i read online.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom