Are they just establishing the pecking order?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Willow's Meadow, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Sometimes two of the 17 chicks I have will race at each other, stare each other in the face and jump up and down at each other(its actually REALLY funny!!!!!). Why are they doing this? I accidently got an extra roo....so the two roos do that often, but the pullets do it too.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yup, it's pecking order tactics. And it IS pretty funny to watch, as long as it doesn't get physical!

3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    It is a game called if you don't back down I'll beat you up, aka I'm telling you I'm the boss, aka I'll eat your lunch and then you for desert.

They are vying for the post of top chicken, he who blinks first loses.

4. MammaMoose

MammaMoose Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    It is cute and is their way of seeing who's the "queen" of the castle. It's really funny when they run at each other and then chest bump.

5. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    My leghorn girls got testy with the new roo. I watched him as he taught them a lesson. Feathers were flying.

6. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Quote:I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its hilarious! Who knew CHICKENS could be funny???? That was one of the biggest surprises for me!

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    yup! no reason to panic. Just watch and enjoy. It's pretty funny sometimes.

8. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Willow's Meadow :

Quote:I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its hilarious! Who knew CHICKENS could be funny???? That was one of the biggest surprises for me!

That wont be the last time they make you laugh! they are natural comedians! [​IMG]

9. Barry1963

Barry1963 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    Madison, Tennessee
    I have two chicks, 6 weeks, one a barred rock and the other a RIR. Theyre always play fighting like that but at the end of the day they cuddle up and all is well...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by