Are they just molting????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happymom99, Sep 28, 2011.

1. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    I think a couple of my chickens are molting but I am not sure. If I remember correctly, they are around 8 and 9 months old. What do you think of these two situations?

My Black Austrolorp: I read that they start molting at the neck and work their way down the back. She is bald right above her tail on her back and I can see little new feathers poking out of her skin. I did not notice any feather loss, either in her appearance or on the ground, before this. I just noticed that her tail was bald. She is still laying eggs and seems healthy and happy, aside from the bald spot.

My Ameraucana: She was a steady daily layer and she has not layed an egg for three weeks now. Her feathers are all over the place on the ground but visually I can't see where she is molting from. She was a steady daily layer and she has not layed an egg for three weeks now. Aside from not laying eggs she she seems healthy and happy although a few weeks ago she had a limp for about three days but then it went away. She layed right through it and seems fine now.

Do you think they are just molting?

Thank you,
    CJ

2. 10thmuse

10thmuse Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    [​IMG]

My golden Wyna just started the same thing...feathers everywhere!

She is a bit subdued but other than that she seem normal, well, normal for a girl quickly becoming nekked!!

Moult is odd looking but normal.

I put DE int he food, nesting boxes and dust bath wallows just to be sure.

It seems to be just her at this point, so I believe we are seeing moult.

-K

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    They are probably molting. A few or mine are molting right now, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by