Are they KIDDING?!

Chickybaby

Chirping
14 Years
Mar 28, 2008
NC - paradise!
:mad: I just got back from the grocery store, where I had to pay $4.29 for a gallon of milk! What?! It's been running between $3.29 and $3.49 for the last month or so, which is BAD enough, but over $4 is absolutely CRAZY! :eek: Guess it's a good thing that I've been researching dairy goats for a couple of weeks now. We were thinking maybe spring we'd start looking around to see what's available. I'm thinking we better step up the time frame... We've been trying to raise as much of our own food as possible anyway (we like it better, not to mention the health benefits) so I guess it wouldn't be as crazy as it sounds (to me, anyway - I've never been a fan of the goat). We were thinking about making cheese primarily, but now it's seriously looking like our only source of milk as well. We've got 2 kids and we're going through 4-5 gallons a week currently. I could easily buy feed for two dairy goats for WAY less than that...

We've already got 3 calves that are going to be groceries - goats seem easier to handle. And they don't eat pasture, which we need for the horses and other grazing animals. They can browse the weeds and tree sprouts from along the driveway (I'll stake them, but only when I'm home - which is most of the time anyway), and around the pastures.
wink.png
Anyway, that's how it's looking as of now... we'll see.

If you are interested- we will have nubian kids in the early spring. Well, late winter actually.
smile.png
Around february. PM me if you want more info. We raise them for milk and it's great! They aren't milking right now unfortunately (since it's about time to breed them again) but when they are, it's great! I make cheese and ice cream as well. My website is under my user name here, if you want to take a look at our goats. Brushy and Josie will be getting bred (hopefully) this year.
smile.png

I have also been thinking about this, having a milking goat. Here is my question what does goats milk taste like??? I don't know if I would like it.

$4.29?! Shoot, it runs that here most of the time, unless you are lucky enough to catch it on sale at 2 for $6.00. Bread is almost all $4.29 and up a loaf for the healthy stuff, and meat, welll, lets just say them girls of mine better start laying soon, last time I wanted a fat rib eye, it was $10.99 LB, so I settled for hamburger at $3.99 lb. I dont squawk too much, until I have to buy coffee, durn criminals!!
somad.gif
rant.gif
sell an addictive substance for $14.00LB!!! My only vice and it costs as much as cigarretts,
sickbyc.gif
thats just wrong!

Around five bucks for store brand and around 7 for Mayfield is not uncommon here. I had planned on getting milk goats because we were going through about 4-5 gallons a week. I do not need a milker anymore because everyone moved out. I could not use a whole gallon in a month.

It really does scare me how much prices have gone up each time I go grocery shopping. Milk is usually $4.69/gallon, but they had it on sale for 2 for $5 this week, so I got a bunch and froze some. The cheapest bread is over $3 a loaf, so I try to bake my own now. Butter is $4.99 for 4 sticks!! It really did get ridiculous when we had to put certain vegetables back because we couldn't afford them. We've taken to driving to TX to do our grocery shopping as they do not have a tax on food. That and our grocery store is pitiful and will sell you expired or rotten food without blinking, and put it straight back on the shelf when you return it. Town is an hour away, and we really can't afford to have to go back to the store. If we find something is expired we have to come up with something out of nothing for dinner or risk eating it. We're planning for the milk cow
sad.png

WOW,
that is some expensive milk. I got one heck of a deal last time. I paid 1$ for a half gallon, bread is still around 2$ . And my favorite store even had ripe bananas for19cents. I really stopped going to the big stores so much and going to more local small grocerey stores. My new fav. is Santisis IGA

Back
Top Bottom