Are they laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by afishel, Sep 8, 2010.

1. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    What do u think is she close to laying
    [​IMG]

I think she is laying but she is pale in her waddles and around her eyes
    [​IMG]

and this girl BR I know she is laying but how close is she at the end of laying they say u can tell by their fading
    her legs are grey and it is hard to tell in the pic but at times her earlobes have a whitish tint to them
    [​IMG]
    whats your opinion

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They all look like they could be laying. Rocks legs fade really fast- she could have a few years left for all you know. Don't go by that.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am not sure exactly what you are asking. Most hens will start laying about 20 weeks, and my Sister has a Polish Crested that is still laying nearly everyday at 10 years of age. If all you are looking for is production birds, then most birds are cull after the second year of laying. After 2 years most egg production breed stop laying as regularly as they have through the first years.

4. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    Well I am just curious I have 6 RIR girls and there are only 2 that are laying everyother day
    they are all 6months old so the other 4 I am thinking should be laying anytime!
    I just wondered on my BR she gives me eggs daily I was just curious since I was asking bout my RIR girls I thought I'd ask about her too! Thank you!

5. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Paleness of the legs, etc., is not a sign that they have stopped laying! [​IMG] They start to turn darker yellow when they stop laying - the yellow pigment is no longer going into the yolks so it goes into the skin. At least according to my Storey's Guide to Raising Poultry...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by