Are they Male or Female Jumbo Browns? Decisions, Decisions.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Buttercup Chillin, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    OK, I just went out to separate my Jumbo Brown Males from the Females. I have the 74 First Hatch.

2 are White A&M's with gold background on their backs, don't know yet. The 4 Golds look to be all speckled Females. 27 Rust breasted Males. There are at least 30 definate speckle breasted Females.

That leaves arount 12 Questionable, that could be Female or Male. I am thinking they could be slow to develope Males. Spotting on top of breast with a bit of rust coming in below. The breast coloring isn't really a rust more like golden pale rust sand color. Their main coloring looks like the other Jumbo Browns.

What do you think are these slow to develope Jumbo Brown males? Could they be a Golden Male outcross, that I don't want to keep? Should they go in the dinner grow out pen with all the other Males to pick and choose from? Or could they be females of a different color?

Sorry, DH went on a trip with the camera.

2. apc

apc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    Cant really tell ya without pics. [​IMG] I raise the A&Ms and English whites, the guys laugh at me because I have to band all my males in hot pink bands once they crow because they can not be feather sexed. Good luck to you!

3. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Well, I'm thinking they are females, but that makes for a really high percentage ratio of Females to Males. I left them with the females at any rate. I am only going to keep them for another 1 or 2 weeks at any rate. Unless they turn out to be Cinnamons, but they have the Brown coloring so...

By now i should be able to tell, I'm just not sure. They are smaller like the rest of the females, including the whites and golds. The males are definately larger.

In the morning, when the males are calling, I may know differently. I could vent sex next week, but that would take the fun out of it.

We'll see. I looked at Monarch's sex Identifying video about 6 times and still don't know. But that's when I decided to let them stay with the females. They almost look like the cinnamon females on the breast and belly but mine have the brown overall coloring, not a cinnamon or red coloring and they are not any lighter than the browns. They all look the same from the top view.

I was wondering if anyone has had males mature a little later?

I have to tell you, I have one that I can't quite get to. I am pretty sure it is a male. It hears me coming and it scoots to the back corner where I can't reach it. I swear it has seen me pick the others up look at them and put them down or take them away. I think its a male hiding its coloring from me cause its got it good with a whole harem of females to itself. I'm going to sneak up on it in the morning and listen for it calling. It is a big one. I'll probably keep it as a breeder anyway, so I'm not to worried about him being with the ladies. When building cages, my DH has to remember my arms aren't as long as his and he is not always here.

4. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    have you tried vent sexing?I had 15 in a growout cage I was unsure of,we vent sexed them.seperated 3 roosters from the 15,,,next day I had 10 eggs in the growout cage,,,same as before,,,

5. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    They are just 4 weeks old. They just started calling and only in the morning. So I'll wait another week before I pull anymore out and I'll vent sex them then if I still can't decide.

I'm more concerned with finding them food, really. I may have to keep the breeders on startena or give them 20% Hen Layer. I haven't been able to get a line on gamebird layer feed. Actually as of last week the 16% Chick grower is more expensive than the 30% gamefeed. Go Figure that one. My chickens growing out may be getting gamefeed startena and my quail breeders getting the 20% hen Layer feed. If that doesn't work, I may just give up. DH is not going to like being a vegetarian, cause if I can't eat it I don't cook it.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:

7. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    aprophet - after you posted I remembered I did have a dozen or so smaller eggs that hatched. I think they are all jumboes. DH said the breeder had his different types of birds separated. But who knows he gave me extra's at any rate, so maybe regulars he did have a few other regular varieties . Either way I'll keep an eye on them. I like having the males separate. Its not a mad rush to feed when I feed them, 3 times a day.

Why the males are bigger than the girls I don't know. But they are for the most part.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by