are they marans??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by flyinchicks, Aug 15, 2011.

1. flyinchicks

flyinchicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and I am also new to chickens. I acquired these chicks about a week ago and have no idea what they are. I have been told they are possibly marans. Any ideas would help. The grey/blue one do not have feathered feet but the other do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    The brownish ones look like a pullet that I have, but I have no clue what she is either !

3. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    Both of their body types don't look like Marans... The first looks like it's some kind of partridge chicken??? or a game bantam
    the second looks kinda like a blue sumatra pullet [​IMG]

4. flyinchicks

Aug 15, 2011
    Awww and I was getting excited about having some dark brown eggs. The brown one came in a group of 4 and the one in the background appears to be a roo. Colorings are much richer than the one in front and already has a slight comb. All of the blue grey one look the same. Judging by size they appear to be around 2 months old.

5. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a pic of my 8-week-old BCM if that helps:

[​IMG]

6. flyinchicks

Aug 15, 2011
    Ok so if not marans are they just mutts?? I may have overshot the age as they are still very small. Fit nicely in the palm of my hand. They are very friendy. Much nicer than the black australops (sp??) that I have.

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    You will know if they are marans when they lay. [​IMG] They look kinda gamey to me as well. I would vote mutt cross... (very cute one) Look like sweet little egg layers to me!!!

8. flyinchicks

Aug 15, 2011
    So will a maran cross still lay the really dark eggs? I assume that the better bred lay darker eggs..is that true.

So after reading around the forum looks like I wasnt supposed to be able to post pictures on my first post. But I did. Hope that there is not a problem with the way I did it. I did not use the Img button at the top.

btw great forum

9. flyinchicks

Aug 15, 2011
    UPDATE:

The brown chickens did lay a terra coota egg.

The grey chicks ended up 1 laying a lt. cream egg and 2 laying green blue eggs.

I have decided they are all mutts that lay cool eggs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  10. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Not all dark egglayer crosses will lay dark eggs. Due to the color of the top bird, I would think she's more likely a welsummer cross. And yes, the better bred dark egg layers (welsummers, marans, barnevelders) will lay darker eggs. Not all of them lay "dark" eggs, really.

Those laying the colored eggs are mutt Easter Eggers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by