are they mites or lice??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Sep 7, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    small insecty things..6? legs, body is dark (black) with a single white spot on the body.
    others are totally white in colour but all mingle together. i treated the house for blood mites but this didnt help so im guessing its another type of lice?
    the house has been unused for 6 weeks yet the bugs are multyplying more and more.....would really like to save this chicken house for use next spring so any help on how to de bug it would be greatful

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Mites are araachnids with 8 legs. Lice are insects with 6. Most lice cannot live long off of a host's body. Sounds to me like you need to thoroughly drench it in a heavy duty insecticide (most also work on arachnids) or bomb it.

3. colada584

colada584 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Gardiner, NY
    You can dust with sevin dust 5% powder which you can get from home depot or other places like that. Or you could try food grade Diatomaceous Earth which many feed stores have. Since there are no birds in there you can cover with that stuff and it should kill the bugs.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    DE wont stop an infestation. Use a bomb or sevin dust, either will kill them all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by