Are they near the age to lay.? Help with age.!! (pictures)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WeeNicole, Aug 31, 2013.

1. WeeNicole

WeeNicole Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Well i hope this is in the right place, couldnt find an "age" place [​IMG]

Ok well ive had these 11 about 8 weeks, they have got a reasonably alot bigger since they came..

Have not one clue on their ages.. any help REALLY appreciated.! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Won't be too much longer. Sussex?
    I'd peg their age to be 17 weeks, give or take, maybe 18 weeks. Still have that slim, youthful look.

3. WeeNicole

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Yes they are sussex, i also have 11 young 9 week old chicks who are alot smaller now than the big birds were when they came.

Will the younger birds put them off laying or anything.? they all live together, and all get along great lol

Thanks for your reply :)

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Oh, I doubt it. If everyone is getting along and the scene is tranquil, they'll be just fine. Of course, once the older girls begin to lay, they'll be a bit more pushy about certain things.

5. WeeNicole

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Cant wait for them to lay :) 2 of the light sussex's are very "fat" looking - maybe they are older. Im still unaware who is roo/hen, the light one in the last pic closest to camera i am near 100% is a roo, very outgoing and bossy - love to stand up straight with the chest out too lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by