Are they nearly ready to lay??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henryhoe, Aug 24, 2011.

1. henryhoe

henryhoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    Do any of my chicks look like they r ready to lay any time soon please????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pippsqueak

pippsqueak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Grants Pass
    Not until their wattles and combs are fully grown. Are they squatting yet? By the looks of things you have alittle bit longer to wait. Its really the worst part of the whole process. Good luck!

3. henryhoe

Aug 9, 2011
    not squatting yet, they r 19 weeks, cant wait for my eggs

4. pippsqueak

pippsqueak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Grants Pass
    I'm hearing that its been later and later this year. So your probably looking at maybe a month but, it could be sooner if they start squatting.

5. henryhoe

Aug 9, 2011
    im going to burst soon if i dont get any eggs, im like a child just cant wait!!

6. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    My friend's light brahma just started a few weeks ago - she got her as a chick in February. I was out there visiting and remarked on her red comb and wattles - to keep an eye out she might start laying soon.

The next morning, she laid her first egg! She's laid an egg everyday since then. I wonder if hens that start later are more regular early on than those that start early?

Now my friend thinks I actually know something...hahaha

Brahmas are supposed to be good winter layers, so don't worry if yours starts later than sooner. You should have a good supply from her through the sparse months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by