Are they not laying or eating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by backforty, Mar 25, 2009.

1. backforty

backforty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2008
    central WI
    I have 3 hens but only get 1 egg a week if Im lucky. the 2 banties I got last fall. and the EE I got a month ago. Ive only gotten 1 egg from the ee and it wasnt in the nestbox. She is 2 yrs old and was laying every other day for the previous owners. The banties are 2 and one from 2008. I did find some a couple half eaten eggs in Feb. But havent seen any signs since ( no shells or dirty faces) They are in a 4x6 ft cage. Ive had lights on since the end of Jan (usually (4) 40 watt flourescents about 10 t0 12 feet from there cage) but no heat. They also free range when its nice out but they dont wonder far so I check everywhere theyve been in case they happened to lay outside. I throw egg shells in my garden for compost and they never try to eat those. They get layer feed, oats, oyster shells, and hay along with what ever I have in the kitchen. I dewormed them all a month ago. I also put a ball in the nestbox and have debeaked them when I found the eaten eggs but I dont know if I took enough off or not. Is this a seasonal thing or what. Im really hungry for fresh eggs! Im even dreaming of finding eggs in the nestbox!!

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Hi there,

If you de-wormed a month ago, try doing it again. The large roundworm's lifecycle is a month long, so you'd need to repeat the dose.

If it possible they're hiding eggs from you? Maybe in a corner or under something?

3. backforty

Oct 29, 2008
    central WI
    Ok I'll deworm them again.
    They cant be hiding them. Ive teared the pen apart looking for eggs twice a day. I did find 1 bantie egg yesterday not in the nestbox just out in the open on the floor.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    How old are they? If you got them & they were older hens, they may be "spent".

Also make sure that nothing is eating the eggs - chickens, rats, snakes, dogs, etc.

5. backforty

Oct 29, 2008
    central WI
    1 is a yr this year the others are 2 yrs old. I had hens growing up and they laid forever. one BO (I think)we had for 12 years and we got her as an adult and she laid good for most of the 12 yrs we had her. It was amazing! Do some breeds get spent sooner than others or how does that work?

I think it may be the weather. I got another bantie egg today so thats more in the last couple days then in 2 weeks. But I guess it should still be 2 or 3 everyday.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You said you found some half eaten eggs in Feb. I'd guess that whatever ate them is still at it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by