Are they OEGBs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wbruder17, Jul 25, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I got 2 chicks out of a mystery bantam bin at the local feed store. the gray one(Cleo) is my absolute favorite little sweetie. Will follow me around to get picked up and loved on. The pearl colored one (Sister) will always submit (like for thhe roo) every time I go near her.

They are the same age, and built pretty much the same. Make the same sounds, but the one's comb and waddles are way more predominant and red, whereas the Cleo's waddle and comb are very small and not red.

Here are pictures....they are not the best quality, but hopefully good enough to tell if they are different breeds.

This is Sister, the light gray/ cream colored one who squats for me.
    [​IMG]

And my Little Sweetie, Cleo.
    [​IMG]

2. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Cleo is tan on bottom and gray on top with beautiful tan splashings on her feathers. They are both very pretty girls.

3. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Can anyone on here tell me or are the pictures perhaps not good enough?

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are the same age I say you have a cockeral and a pullet. - They look to be OEGBs. The pics are too washed out to have any idea on color though. [​IMG] They are cute!

5. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    Pictures are kinda washed out to tell. They look like they could be. If you could get a full body shot from the side with the sun coming from behind you (instead of facing the light source which will make it washed out looking).

Cleo looks like a Quail OEGB from what I can see. Not sure about the other, though it does appear it may be a rooster.

6. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for looking. My camera phone is not so bueno. I know they are both girls, as the little cream colored one has been squatting like crazy and I believe laid her first egg today. It was teeny tiny and laid in a place that my oter girls wouldn't lay....on a shelf.

Here is another picture, tho also washed out, it giives her outline pretty well and shows her carriage. Does the color tell something about the breed?
    [​IMG]

7. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    Strange for them to be a such different stages of developement, but the same age. The picture you posted does have the carriage of a hen.

The color does help indicate the breed because certian colors are only found in certian breeds or are more likely in one breed verses another. Still cannot tell for sure about the color of the lighter hen, but maybe Wheaton? She does have the build of a OEGB in that picture.

8. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    need a better picture... but the first one looks like it might be a fawn silver duckwing hen... the second one is a quail...

the thing with the combs... well, sometimes a hen is just gonna have a huge comb/waddle... that's kind of normal from what i see at the local feed stores and such...

both of them are very pretty too... OEGB pullets are great chickens...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by