Are they ok?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BanannaChick, Feb 8, 2017.

1. BanannaChick

BanannaChick New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]I was wondering about these two eggs. I have had them in since two saturdays ago( Jan 22) but they don't look really developed...

I did this as an experiment by putting five farm eggs (free range, but not intentionally fertilized. The farm did have roosters.) the other three look less developed. In these two, the yolk is bigger and I see some lines that don't EXACTLY look like veins, but are super similar. They don't have that spidery formation, but otherwise they look about the same. If they aren't veins, what are they? I'd like to know if they are developing, and if so, when they are going on lockdown.

I know that the typical time is 18ish days, but the eggs were in the fridge for two. I've heard this slows development, but I don't know by how much. I will include pics of one that doesn't look so hot and the other two.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Bad news. I dropped one!!! Luckily it was just rotten, eww. The pictures are random, but the two consecutive ines that look super different are the "infertile ones". Also, I don't have a pro candler, so the pictures are probably awful[​IMG]

Another update
    There are only two pics. One on the bottom is the one that might be fertile. I thought I put in pics of the lines, but I can just describe them. They are very faint and appear to be near the surface. They look connected, but not in a spidery way. You can't see them once you see the shadow of the yolk.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under BanannaChick [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, while I have had a few hatches, I never candle and just go with que sera sera [​IMG]

You should get some responses on the Forum Ken gave you a link to. Good luck!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I have never incubated eggs so sorry I couldn't tell you.

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

The first egg was definitely non-viable.

The second... looks like it was developing but may have stopped.

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

7. BanannaChick

BanannaChick New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    Thanks!

I was honestly expecting to get something along the lines of "Why would you experiment f you aren't prepared for the outcome?" or "You are just some kid who's experimenting, only real chicken lovers are allowed on this site." Thanks for the wonderful response

To QueenMisha, who said that the second egg may have stopped developing- what stage do you think it was at? because it is an experiment, i will keep incubating it and see ha happens. I don't want to be turning it if it is going through lock down, or not turning it if it is not on lock down yet.

P.S. Is anyone else getting 14 inches of snow today! I'm in BKLYN so where are y'all from?

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Howdy, howdy, and welcome to BYC! I am so glad you decided to join the community, please do make yourself at home here! I am sure you will enjoy it, and I hope you love it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

Experimenting is how we learn, and BYC is very friendly and supportive of kids learning the ropes of chicken keeping. (like me)

9. BanannaChick

BanannaChick New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    Hey y'all
    Just asking again about the stage of development. REALLY NEED TO KNOW WETHER TO TURN OR NOT!!! I have only been turning once every other day and twice in the days between just in case. I had typically turned 2 times a day minimum , 3 max. Please let me know!!! Also, my home made incubator is pretty dry. I have been monitoring the humidity whilst spritzing them with enough water to make up for the humidity, yes I calculated it. Don't judge me.) Is this ok?

One more really weird question. Can chickens fall into a coma? My friend, who just hatched four silkies, had one of the chicks (who we think is mentally retarded somehow) fell into the plate of water for them to drink out of. It should've been able to get out as it is very shallow. It flipped so its nostrils were in the water and couldn't get them out. She found it a while after and it was still breathing. She manually drew and much water as she could out. She used a very thin straw and placed it gently down its nostrils and sucking. If breathed, but hasn't red diing much. It is Very drowsy, and the most it has eaten was just the straw and some super mushy corn poured down it. It is breathing but unconscious, and has been since yesterday. Is it possible to wake it up?

Thanks for the help guys. :p

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, BannaChick, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you aboard! Sorry, I'm an incubating and hatching novice so I'll have to defer to the experts regarding your egg. But I wish you well and a successful hatch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by