Are they okay??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Moochie, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I have a 4 inch deep container outside of the duck enclosure and sometimes when they freerange one of them will go in it and, clean themselves? She goes foward in the water, like diving kind of, and twirls and goes kinda crazy in it. One time she stumbled out of the container and was on her back like a turtle and trying to get up. I'm worried. They're not hurting themselves when they do this right?
    Louis and Vuitton have deeper water too..

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Um, what kind of "container"? Can you upload a picture of it?

3. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:Yes I can! Lemme go take pics right now!

4. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Here it is empty and full. They also do it in puddle water.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I think it's a container.. It looks like it had a top.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Is it one of your white crested ducks that falls over? Because they are prone to neurological problems. i have a white crested that falls over on occasion and is not very coordinated. i don't think it's an issue with your container. Do they have a pond or kiddie pool to swim in?

7. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Yes the crested. Oh because of that gap in their head?
    They do have a half-cut barrel in the ground in their enclosure, they don't visit it much when I let them out to freerange in the yard. It's deeper and bigger. We'll be making a larger "pond" using something from a truck, you know how some trucks have that cover in the back? I'm not a car wiz so I don't really know how to describe it, but it's a pretty good size and the depth is good.
    (Do they look like girls to you?)

8. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Well, it is a bit too small for them plus it has very steep and sharp edges all around. I would suggest looking for a kiddie pool as they have rounded entry (get the biggest you can find) they are about $15 and probably on sale now.

9. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Im waiting for Walmart or KMart to put their pools on sale so I can stock up for the year [​IMG] $3 is better than $15

10. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    They have a deeper pool in their enclosure that's in the ground. And we are making a pond outside of their enclosure because we are getting more ducks.
    We tried for kiddie pools but Home Depot, Walmart, and the base exchange didn't have them. So we're just gonna stick with our truck thingy. The depth on the truck-top is good and it's pretty large.
    The container was their pool source when they were babies, when they started getting bigger I changed it. Now the container is used for a waterer for the chickens and the ducks, even though the ducks go in it sometimes.
    So are they okay when they flop around?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by