Are they old enough to tell now!? (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickaroo!, May 11, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Okay, here are pics of my chicks. I've had them 4wks now. Can anyone tell what breed/gender they are? I'm pretty sure that most are golden comets or something of the sort, but not sure about the black/white one. As far as gender...????

PIC #1
    [​IMG]

PIC #2
    [​IMG]

PIC #3
    [​IMG]

PIC #4
    [​IMG]

PIC #5
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  2. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Looks like

Rooster
    Hen
    ? Rooster
    Hen

You will know for sure in a week or two.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

All the brown and white ones look like red sexlinks to me. The dark one.. dunno. EE? Does it have green feet?

4. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    Oh no! I hope not more than one roo!!!! All the light colored ones were suppose to be females!!! [​IMG]

The dark on does have sort of greenish coloring to it's feet.

5. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have one that is identical to your brown/white -- I call it red/white actually -- that I was told was a red sex link...and I'm hoping it is female. This was taken at 3 weeks..she has much more reddish brown on her now.

[​IMG]

I have another one that I fear is a roo. S/he has always had more white and it appears that his comb is developing at a greater speed. Guess I'll find out in a couple more weeks.

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

ALL the buff/white ones are FEMALE! They are red sex links- that's the whole sex link part. [​IMG]

The females are always red and white and the males are mostly white with a few flecks of red or black.

The EE looks feminine at this point too although it's a little young yet.

7. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I ahve a different "breed" of sexlinks and the females are darker in mine (I only have females). So the red brown ones are girls.

8. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    yup, the red ones are girl comets (Red Sex Links). Rita looke just like that. but the black one, hmmm what did you order or did you just scoop it up?

9. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    Whew!! I was beginning to worry. Actually, I got the black/white one from the straight run bin so I knew I was taking my chances. Secretly, I was hoping for it to be a roo, but not the others.

Did anyone notice that the black/white one seems to not be developing much of a comb? Is that the way it's suppose to be for that particular breed?

10. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    I have a 5 week old EE that has very similar coloring...with willow legs and very little comb development. When mature they have rose combs, so early development is difficult to tell sometimes. If you look really close at it's comb you should be able to discern 3 separate ridges to the comb if it a male, and only one ridge if female.
    They are all healthy and beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by