Are they on egg strike??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mom2Munchkins, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Ok, a few weeks ago I decided to get rid of 5 of my pekin drakes. I had 7 total, and my girls were getting really worn down. The backs of their heads were blad, losing feather, ect. Anyway, so I re-homed 5 of the drakes. I have gotten NO eggs since. What the heck?? Any suggestions?

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Either the change upset their routine, or they are done for the season...

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Extreme heat can also be a turn off. Just give it some time.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Pekins don't really have a 'season', mine lay into November most times. I would say that the combination of 'losing' their boys and the extreme heat that most of us are experiencing has thrown them off for a while. I have 3 adult females, one is broody and the other 2 haven't laid an egg that I know of for at least a month.

The heat can and does make them stop laying, or at the very least they will slow down a lot.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  5. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Ok, good to know... I ask them every day if they're still mad at me! LOL Those boys just had to go! They were overbreeding my girls, and they ate like cows! [​IMG]

6. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Could they be molting? My ducks always take a break when they start a molt.

I have had the ducks go on a hunger strike before. lol. They refused to eat their feed so i would feed them peas. It took three days of them refusing to east before they finally gave in. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by