are they pearls or purples?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by snyd08, Jul 31, 2011.

1. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    right now my camera is not working to take pics however, i hatched a few keets 6 weeks ago and they hatched out with white undersides/wings and brown stripes on top. i was under the impression that they were going to be purple(royal purple) keets however they look like pearls to me. no more white exept on one and only on his wings. i thought if not RP then they must be bronze. my question is.. they cant be pearl greys can they? or maybe if the mom/ dad was pearl and other was white.. they would be pied then right? these look pure pearl. im hoping that i get the answer "they will get darker" or they will get more brown.. so i hope thats what i hear! i love em anyway and wont care much if they are pearls. [​IMG]

2. livenwpeeps

livenwpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    King William
    The Royal Purples will have irregual lines on it's head. The Pearl will have a large strip down his head with a smaller stripe on each side of the larger one. I wish I had a picture to show you but I'm sure someone will show a picture comparision. I hope this helps.

3. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    The RP (and Bronze) keets go thru at least 2 feathering stages where they look very similar to Pearl Greys, (and the keets do lose the white on their wings as soon as they grow their first set of feathers unless they are going to be Pied RPs - or Pied Pearl Greys). Unless you've raised a few RPs and are familiar with their feather changes it's hard to see those subtle differences, but there are some. But like livenwpeeps says, the stripes on the head tell all.

There's only a slight color shade difference, if any between Royal Purple Keets and the Bronze keets... and Bronzes usually do not show the bronze coloring until they have molted their adult plumage a couple times (around 6 months old, or older). Until then they look exactly like Royal Purples.

4. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    glad to hear it. thank you guys. i now feel a bit better in thinking they are what i "knew" they were. like i said when they were hatched they were brown with white bellies up to their wings. i doubt they are pied pearls they all looked identical. so i think i do indeed have RP. either way they are gonna be hating on me for 10 days considering they will be cooped up due to my grandparents dog staying with us for a bit while they head to the shore... oh well it'll be good for them to remember the coop is their safe haven... thanks again! [​IMG]
    - snyd08

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by