Are they 'pets'?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by DuckiesPLZ, Sep 18, 2011.

1. DuckiesPLZ

DuckiesPLZ Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Hello, I'm trying to get an outdoor pet bird! But I'm looking for something that is a bit more friendly! Like, sit on my shoulder or something. What are doves and pigeons like? [​IMG] PICTURES WELCOMED! They're so cute!

2. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    I'd say you need a chicken. Pigeons are great, but they aren't as... Pet-like. If you want a bird to sit on your shoulder, eat out of your hand, and follow you around, get a chicken. Pigeons are more ornamental.

3. nxd10

nxd10 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    I like the pigeons, and find them fascinating.

But my chickens are really great outdoor pets. Our standing joke in the house is that chickens have all the personality of parrots (which we have) but at a tiny little fraction of the cost. If you want smaller ones, try bantams. They're very cute and you can bring them inside if you diaper them (or keep them in a pen).

4. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    For a tame tame pigeon, you pretty much have to hand raise. Then, they can be pretty awesome. Some breeds (parlor rollers, mookees for sure, lahores, etc) are known for being tame though. Chickens would be easier to get a tame bird though. [​IMG]

5. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Pigeons and doves will get tame if handled a lot as they grow, but if you free them they become sitting ducks for cats and hawks, etc. [​IMG]

6. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    I like the Silkie doves the one that I held seemed very friendly and coulndn't fly it just sat on me.

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I have 3 ringneck doves. 2 females and male. The male is the friendliest bird I ever raised! He flys to me, loves to sit on my arm, and loves to be petted under the neck! I consider him my pet and enjoy him more than my chickens.

8. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I took a homing pigeon(10 days old) let my son hand feed it. He could walk to school with it on hios shoulder ,then he would fly home. My son had him for many years. So hand feed a pigeon or doves , make alot better pet than a chicken. IMO

10. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    I think pigeons make great pets, and can tame down wonderfuly. I had a stunning Serbian high flyer named Lucky who was hand raised. him and his friend Dalilah, (later re-named the more apropriate "Dale" LOL) would follow us all around the yard and land on us, always wanted to be around us. SO sweet and friendly! great birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by