Are they picking on her??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by klace08, Dec 9, 2010.

1. klace08

klace08 New Egg

Apr 9, 2010
    I had my big prize chubby girl go broody about a month ago. It lasted 4-6 weeks, and she's finally back out in the yard. We did what we could to de-brood, we threw her out of the coop continuously, etc. In any case, she lost SO MUCH weight. She's the skinny girl now. And today I noticed she's missing a ton of feathers! She's missing a good 2x2 inch patch on the back of her neck- so she cant be doing it to herself?? I've seen the other girls peck at her before when she goes to see what they're scratching at.... but are they de-feathering her?? This isnt molting is it? What do i do?? (Took pictures, cant figure out how to upload them?)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]
    I don't know...but I hate when they pick on each other.
    I always scold mine when they do.

3. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Probably not much you can do... That pecking order is natural, but hard for us humans to understand!

4. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have the same as question, but my girl, Sunny, sometimes has dried blood in the area. She looks quite bedraggled, which I initially put down to the constant rain lately, but I think I saw on this site that if blood is being drawn, something should be done.

Sunny is mostly white Leghorn, & the flightiest of all. It won't be easy to either clean off her neck, or isolate her at night - which are the 2 options I can think of.

Her behavior is fine - I just watched her this morning and she is not afraid of the other 5, she's out scratching happily away.

My best guess as to cause: When I don't get out to the coop at daybreak, I think there's a bit of squabbling & probably Sunny gets the worst of it. 95% of the time, I wake at daybreak & open their coop door & they drowsily stumble out.
    If I am later than, say 7:30 am, they start getting noisier & noisier, & they tumble over each other in the rush to get out & start eating & drinking. (Thought: they sleep in a fairly small coop with no food or water in it, just straw & shavings).
    Today it was my day off & I slept til 8:30, so I'm feeling a bit guilty. Her neck has clearly been pecked, & their was old dried blood (I can say "old" because it was pink, I imagine from yesterday's rain diluting it).

They free-range all day in my back yard, & I don't see any real problems then, just the occasional chasing someone (different ones) away & short squawk by the chasee.

Should I make a priority out of enlarging the coop? I can't walk in it; it's elevated about 4' off the ground & is about the size of a very large dog house.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have the same as question, but my girl, Sunny, sometimes has dried blood in the area. She looks quite bedraggled, which I initially put down to the constant rain lately, but I think I saw on this site that if blood is being drawn, something should be done.

Sunny is mostly white Leghorn, & the flightiest of all. It won't be easy to either clean off her neck, or isolate her at night - which are the 2 options I can think of.

Her behavior is fine - I just watched her this morning and she is not afraid of the other 5, she's out scratching happily away.

My best guess as to cause: When I don't get out to the coop at daybreak, I think there's a bit of squabbling & probably Sunny gets the worst of it. 95% of the time, I wake at daybreak & open their coop door & they drowsily stumble out.
    If I am later than, say 7:30 am, they start getting noisier & noisier, & they tumble over each other in the rush to get out & start eating & drinking. (Thought: they sleep in a fairly small coop with no food or water in it, just straw & shavings).
    Today it was my day off & I slept til 8:30, so I'm feeling a bit guilty. Her neck has clearly been pecked, & there was old dried blood (I can say "old" because it was pink, I imagine from yesterday's rain diluting it).

They free-range all day in my back yard, & I don't see any real problems then, just the occasional chasing someone (different ones) away & short squawk by the chasee.

Should I make a priority out of enlarging the coop? I can't walk in it; it's elevated about 4' off the ground & is about the size of a very large dog house.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/63357_coopdooroct2010.jpg
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/63357_cocoainbackyardjune2010.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by