Are they pullets

homestead 101

Songster
5 Years
Jan 31, 2016
I think I have three pullets please tell me I do.

It's a little difficult to tell from these pictures. Especially without knowing the ages of your birds. I would suggest taking some good, clear profile shots, and then posting on the "What Breed or Gender Is This?" section of the forum.

Agreed with BJ. But, given the one pic you've provided, their barring leads me to think they are all pullets. Age and individual profile shots would be most helpful.

Last edited:
I have heard that if the 'saddle feathers' (feathers that are around the tail and go down the side but not actually the tail... I'm sorry I can't describe them well!!) are rounded then they are female. When I accidentally got two roosters I found this was true as they had pointed saddle feathers and sure enough they started crowing! And my three females now all have round saddle feathers. As far as I know this is true for most if not all breeds

I have heard that if the 'saddle feathers' (feathers that are around the tail and go down the side but not actually the tail... I'm sorry I can't describe them well!!) are rounded then they are female. When I accidentally got two roosters I found this was true as they had pointed saddle feathers and sure enough they started crowing! And my three females now all have round saddle feathers. As far as I know this is true for most if not all breeds
These won't show until birds are about 3-4-5 months old tho.

Look like Pullets right now....No sign of any pointed shiney saddle feathers on their backs that will be the 1st sign if they are roosters are the long draping feathers and shiney pointed feathers accross their shoulders...
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom