Are they ready for the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mattv1984, Apr 5, 2016.

1. mattv1984

mattv1984 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    [​IMG]. I am new to raising chickens. Do you guys think they are reading to move to the coop. We still have some cool nights. We have a few that's going to be in the 30s this week. Thanks for the help

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Any possibility of providing a heat source for at least the evenings?

3. eagrbeavr

eagrbeavr Chillin' With My Peeps

They should be fine. They're much hardier than given credit for.

Have they been outside at all?

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You can do it one of two ways. You can provide a heat source for a few nights after moving to the coop until they acclimate to cooler temps. Or you can acclimatize them before you move them to the coop by removing their heat source the first night, open a window the second night, and open it further the third night until they are experiencing nearly the same temps as they would outdoors.

Taking them outdoors for daily romps is also a great way to introduce them to cooler temperatures.

When it comes to temperature changes, gradual is the best practice where chickens are concerned.

5. mattv1984

Mar 20, 2016
    [​IMG]. This is the coop I'm keeping them in while they are small. I've been keeping them in it durring the day and taking them in at night. It doesn't really have a way to put heat in it that I know of. The coop says it's good for six chickens, but i don't see how 6 will fit in it. I'll have to add a larger run when they get bigger.

6. turboscooby07

turboscooby07 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2016
    kansas
    They look quite feathered... as long as they are out of the wind i would say you are fine.... mine have been out for a while now in 30s at night and outside in a run all day between 50 and 80 during the day without heat. However my brooding coop is small for 15 birds and filled with straw. Straw holds heat very well and they make a big nest and pile up for the night.

7. eagrbeavr

eagrbeavr Chillin' With My Peeps

They'll be fine.

8. Kyle Spencer

Kyle Spencer New Egg

Apr 4, 2016
    They should be alright.

9. mattv1984

Mar 20, 2016
    Thanks everyone. I've just been worried I'd go outside in the morning and find 6 frozen leghorns. I've been using pine shavings for bedding. They have almost outgrown the brooder.

10. turboscooby07

turboscooby07 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2016
    kansas
    If that cage is the brooder they have outgrown it for sure...get them out and keep an eye on them. Chickens are tough ....however i always wonder if wild animals think to themselves **** its cold or oh great its raining again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by