Are they ready for the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lady Chickadee, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    My chicks will be 6 weeks old tomorrow. We just finished the coop and was wondering if we could go ahead and put the chicks in there. Its 52 degrees this morning and its suppose to get up to 72 degrees today. If we do put them in there today will they need a heater or a heat lamp?

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    If they are fully feathered out, they should be just fine, especially if they are cold hardy breeds. By now, you should have heat on them only at night and it should be about 65 degrees or so anyway. Just give them lots of pine shavings or hay to snuggle down into. Make sure your new coop is water- leak free and draft-free and they are going to have a big party!

3. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Okay thanks!! We will probably be getting them in the coop today.[​IMG]

4. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    I am currently feeling extremely guilty.... We put our chicks out in the coop last night because they were getting "too big" for the brooder, they are 2 weeks old on monday. The brooder lamp is in there and they seem fine... Should I go get them? [​IMG]

5. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    For the 2-week olds...as long as you have a lamp on them, and you are checking in to see that they are comfortable, they'll be fine.

6. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    phew.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by