Are they ready

fdehaven

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 17, 2009
Woodland, PA
My chicks are about 3 weeks old. It is going to be around 70 for a high and low 40 for a low.
Would i be able to put them outside in a small
er coop with a heat lamp?

They should be fine without the lamp, especially if they can sunbathe. My 5-6 day olds are fine outside in the sun at 65 degrees F. If you;re looking to move them outside full time a lamp might be needed at night.

Last edited:
I think they're still too young. I wouldn't be comfortable until they are fully feathered & temps at night don't get below 50 degrees. You said you had heat lamp which would help but if it was me I'd wait. JMO Letting them sunbath is ok as long it's not real windy......they'll huddle into a ball.

Last edited:
Mine were just shy for 4 weeks when I put them out with the silkies. The 3 Marans were still fluffy, but they had the other 7 older chicks to keep them warm. They have been out for a week, and Sat & Sun. it rained, they were out in the rain & were fine. No heat lamp, they just puppy pile in the corner of the coop at bedtime. And it only took them 3 days to learn to put themselves to bed!

3 New Hamp, 2 Black Aust. 1 Frizzle & 1 Bantie, 1 week younger are 3 Marans Got the forst set on Feb. 2nd, the other 3 on Feb. 11th.

They should do fine.

same question here...mine are 3 weeks tomorrow and have been out for several hours a day in the run/coop area for about a week now. It is getting real hard to round them up lately to bring them in at night! Temps here are mid 70's to low 80's day and mid 50's high 40's for the next week or so. I'm thinking they would be alright outside even without a light....What y'all think?

Back
Top Bottom