Are They Ready?

My grandpa and I have moved them for tonight, the coop is about 8 x 4 so that should be plenty of space for them. I may install a heating lamp later, but I'll see how they're doing tonight and move them back to the brooder if need be. I am hesitant to move them back to the brooder, however, because the garage gets reaaallllyy hot during the day, probably around a 100 I guess.

Might want to find out exactly how hot it may not matter much. My first batch of Cornish Crosses spent from 2 weeks to 4 weeks in my shed, I managed to keep it down to 110 degrees with fans and misters, although the brooder box itself may have been a bit warmer. They would hang out by the ice jug I hung in there, or in front of the fan, and did just fine. Panted a bit, but kept eating and growing. I'm getting this idea that they need these exact temps is not true, what they need is the opportunity to be able to self regulate a bit.

I don't have my older ones in the coop yet because I still need to put wire on the windows. However, I have a thermometer in there and it gets up to 88-90 degrees. I know I need more vents, but they may have to wait. I put a fan in the window to test how it would help and it didn't help the ambient temp, but sitting in front of it did feel better. So I'm going to use the fan and frozen bottles until I can get the extra vents cut out. The lows have been as low as 45 too. The ones I'll be moving will be 5 weeks old this weekend.

The new ones I got yesterday seem to be comfy even though my cheap thermometer that came with the kit can go anywhere from 80 to 110 no matter where I move the lamp. So I just left it where it was and they are hopping around, eating, drinking, pooping and napping normally. I agree that it's up to the chicks how warm they want to be.

Back
Top Bottom