Are they really ALL roosters???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by acbunker, Aug 19, 2013.

1. acbunker

acbunker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Bristol, FL
    Bought hatching eggs (copper marans and olive eggers), hatched and raised them all, hoping I'd get some hens out of them.

Sold a few as chicks, kept 6 olive eggers, 4 marans, and one barred rock/marans cross.

They are 18 weeks old now and unfortunately they are all looking like roosters!!! And I seriously can't believe that out of 11, I have 11 roosters. Am I that "freaking lucky"?? Really?? [​IMG]

Anyway, can anyone help me to confirm my suspicious, or hopefully to give me some good news?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Every bird with red wing/shoulders is a male.
    The black birds with copper on the body are male.

I can't tell about all of them, some of the pics aren't very good. You may have a black pullet in there somewhere, I'd need better pics to be sure.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Keep in mind that the temperature of the incubator can also skew the hatch toward one sex or another. Just our experience anyhow. IIRC, too cold will result in slightly more pullets and too hot will result in slightly more cockerels. Since you sold off a lot of chicks, you may have kept back the liveliest and friendliest, unwittingly, as the cockerels are often the most precocious? Possible?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  4. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia

5. acbunker

Apr 23, 2012
    Bristol, FL
    Thanks for your reply.
    These are all the pics I have for the black ones. I can take more tomorrow... Also, how about the barred cross and the gray and blonde olive egger? (their pictures are on my first message)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. acbunker

Apr 23, 2012
    Bristol, FL
    Actually I'm new to this whole incubating thing, and these guys were my second batch that I kept. So I decided to follow the "leg trick": the ones with hanging legs are girls, the ones with legs up are boys... According to the test, they were supposed to be all "girls".

Well, as of today, hubby and I are calling it "the freaking leg test"............. [​IMG]

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    All those pictures are roosters.

8. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    So sorry that you had to learn the hard way not to believe in old wives tales! The only way to sex little chicks is by colour or feather growth (and this applies to a select number of breeds or hybrids only). Apart from that, they can be vent sexed (only a few experts know how to do that!) So what are you going to do with all these boys?

9. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Yep that test gets a lot of people.

10. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    All Roos for sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by