1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are they really ready to be outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NicInNC, Jul 26, 2008.

1. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    We're getting our banty babies today. They are 4 weeks and 2 days old. They have still been sleeping under mommy's wings, so I'm a bit torn as to taking them away from her (the people we're getting them from live behind us). They are still so small! Are you sure it's ok for them to be in the outside coop? The thought of them being so small and outside alone without mommy is just breaking my heart.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    At 4 weeks old the chicks need a temp. around 80 - 85. If you can provide that and protection from drafts and predators in their coop, then they are ready for the coop. They'll have each other for company. Watch their behavior to make sure they are warm enough. Also, make sure they are eating and drinking.
    If you aren't comfortable with them being outside, keep them indoors for a few days.
    My chicks were outside from the day I got them when they were 3 days old. Albeit, mine are standards. Good luck with your new chicks. [​IMG]

3. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    At this age, where do they usually sleep? On the ground? On the roost? In the nesting box? Our outside temps have been 65-70 at night. [​IMG]

Maybe they're not ready.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Nic, my chickens are four months old and some roost, some sleep on the floor. If you can, block off your nesting boxes so they won't use them for sleeping. They need to learn that nesting boxes are for one thing and one thing only. Keeping them in the house wasn't a choice for me and they did absolutely fine outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by