Are they really this stupid?????

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by dragonlair, Sep 2, 2009.

1. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I have had layers for years. About 2 years ago, I got rid of them because I needed to buld a new coop for them and just didn't have the money.

So, 3 weeks ago I finally got 6 Golden Comet layers. Their coop isn't done yet, but they are in a temp with a small 12 x 12 yard.

Yesterday I let them out to free range after I got home form work and chores were done. It would have given them about 2 hours before it started getting dark and they would go to roost.

So, I put a temp fence in the walk way between the house and goat barn/dog kennel to keep them from going into the road or in the kennel. I have Malamutes who LOVE fresh chicken, especially covered with feathers.

I stay with the girls while they get their bearings and start pecking. After I see that they are staying in the general area of their yard, I went in the house to fix supper.

About 15 minutes later I hear the Mal puppies (2 year olds I've had from birth) carrying on. I look out and can see them bouncing and really interested in something in the horse pasture. The kennel and the pasture share a fence at this place. The way they were acting, i KNEW it was the hens.

I raced out of the house and into the back yard. There were 2 of my girls, 4 were missing. I race around tha back of the barn and sure enough.....the stupid hens were about 1 foot away form the dogs, who had their heads thru the fence and were trying to grab a hen head. The hens were blissfully pecking away in the dirt, death 12 inches away. Two of the girls were staring at the dogs as they lunged to try to eat them.

I raced back and chased them away form the dogs. The hens were very upset with me as I herded them back into their yard and locked them back in.

Can you say DUH!

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Chickens have thier moments [​IMG]

3. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    mind will go right up to my coonhounds and steal their food... they just walk up and take it...the hounds of course try to get them but thankfuly everybody still here...it stared me the first time cause i thought the same thing " are they stupid, your walking right up to a 45 pound redbone who could gobble up in one bite"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by