Are they Reds? (new pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChixChic, Apr 29, 2009.

1. ChixChic

ChixChic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Newfield, NY
    These little babies are about 4-5 weeks old. When I bought them, I was told they are assorted Reds. The darker one, I was told is a rooster. I am just wondering why all the girls are not turning more red, and look like Orpingtons
    Will they eventually change too? Or did I just get Orpingtons?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Well the one looks like a rhode island red, the others look like buff orps or even buff rocks.

3. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Hard to see in your pic. Do the whitish ones have more/redder comb than the red one? You *could* have light sexlink roo's and a sexlink pullet.

4. ChixChic

ChixChic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Newfield, NY
    I added different pics to help you see better.

I guess the lighter colored chics comb is a little pink-ish on a couple of them, but for the most part, they are a yellow-ish color, including the red chic.

Do you thinkt he red one is even a rooster? Also, I dont know if this makes a difference....but on some of the lighter colored ones, their tails are quite larger than some of the others. Would this indicate that they could be a rooster?

Whats the difference between a Rock and an Orpington?

Thought I had them figured out, but the older they get, the more confused I get!

Thanks so much for your help!

5. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Those are deffinitly (spelling?) buff orpingtons and a RIR. The main difference between rocks and orps is the leg color, rocks have yellow and orps have pinkish white.

6. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Looks the a Orpington to me.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by