1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are they RIR - Or Red Stars?? *UPDATE - PICS ADDED*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HennysMom, Nov 20, 2008.

1. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Hmmm... upon searching through all the breeds to learn more - I'm absolutely dumbfounded to now learn that the 6 girls I have that I was told were RIR's - are now maybe Red Stars / Sexlinks!

Well... does this make a difference in their hardiness to tolerate cold weather? I'm shocked - I knew they weren't the true deep dark red of a RIR but I thought perhaps they were maybe a cross between a RIR and a NH - now - I see Lil2Bizzy's pictures below and I swear I'm staring at all 6 of my girls!

They are beautiful.. but now I'm upset that this guy (who owns a feed/supply store and has for years and years, selling chicks, ducks, and every other type of animal...) doesnt know his breeds.

So if they are crossed between a RIR and a RIW (didnt know there was a RI white) - or a RIR and anything else - can they still call them RIR's?

Pulled from Lil2Bizzy's post back in Oct....

Quote:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    they are laying machines if you ask anyone on here. so that is a good point. love them no matter what they are. [​IMG]

3. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Milton Florida
    They are still cold hardy, and do produce good eggs if not a little better than RIR. At least thats what I read about their egg production. I just got some, so really have no idea if they will out lay my reds.

4. HennysMom

Oh make no mistake I absolutely ADORE my girls [​IMG] wouldnt trade them for the world - but here all along everybody's asked me (here) and in person "oh what are they?" and I said "RIR's"

Uhm.. [​IMG] retraction in order now [​IMG] So what do I say now? Uhm... Mixed-breed-super-chickens? LOL So are they a RIR in every sense of the word outside of the true breed or are the a "mutt"? [​IMG]

And yes..they DO lay very well - I get 6 eggs daily and they began at 15.5 weeks laying - they are now coming up on 8 months on 24 November!

5. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    rir would by the daddy. so you weren't too far off.

6. HennysMom

thanks for helping me - I appreciate it. Now I'll have to take some pics and put them up to have ya'll tell me for sure since ya'll are the experts [​IMG] Will do that tomorrow.

They are sweet and docile - wonder which part of the breeding that is? Here' I'm thinking "Oh..the RIR"s are soooo sweet and calm" - mutts - the lot of them hee hee hee [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

My red sex-link was totally white until about 6 weeks old. How old were yours when you got them and what color where they? And they are laying machines and I think much prettier to look at! [​IMG]

8. HennysMom

Peeper - they were actually an orange color when I got them - kind of like the color of yolk with red stripes here and there [​IMG] and they were exactly 1 week old; they looked JUST like a RIR chick. They developed their colors very very fast and before I knew it, they were red and white on some, and some are a beautiful cinnamon color with hardly any white at all, while others have more mixed like the photo above.

what color were yours - all of them were white?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  9. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess I would have called them RIRs too. [​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Do you have any pics you can post?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by