Are they scrambled?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TC, Feb 13, 2009.

1. TC

TC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    La Grange, Ca
    We are doing a project for school, and I got 18 eggs from Onthespot (thanks so much!). When you look at this website, http://lancaster.unl.edu/4h/Embryology/embryophotos.shtml Day 2 looks like the egg yolk is "scrambled". Its all yellowish white and stuff. Does they yolk break down like that? Any information to help with the pictures we are seeing could help us out!! Thanks [​IMG]

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    If you're not sure what you're looking at, candle again on day 6 or 7 to see if there is any veining.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I don't know what your seeing.... The pics I looked at just showed a yolk followed by a yolk with veins. I don't see how it's scrambled or anything. If you break an egg that's quit a few days in the yolk will come out whole with a few veins. When candling I've never been able to see veins before day 4 even on light shelled bantam eggs.

Have you looked at this site http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgram/Candling/index.html ? It's duck eggs so the days don't line up right for chicken eggs but it has very good pics of development seen through candling.

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    The cells are starting to form different structures of the embryo, and parts are starting to solidify. You won't really be able to see this when candling the eggs. You'll know the eggs are alive when it looks like the yolk has stuck to one side of the egg. It will be darker on one side of the egg than the other, and it won't move around. In a week you should be able to see veins.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

TC, proper candling should be done at day 7 and again at day 14. Not saying you can`t candle more often, but frequent candling will reduce your hatch rate many times.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Candling won't reduce hatch rate. I've candled daily before and to candle I take my eggs out of the incubator, carry them in a carton to another room, and then candle them all before carrying them back. Hens get up off their eggs daily. So long as you aren't handling the eggs roughly, dropping them, or keeping them out of the incubator for more than 10mins it will do no harm.

7. TC

TC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    La Grange, Ca
    I have only candled twice, once at day 3 and again at day 7. I only did it when I was opening to add water, and my candler is right there. I literally put it on the candleer and put it back in the bator. I won't candle again till day 14. I know I should leave them more alone, but we are doing a school project and I was trying to find out "Before" (day 2), and some during (days 7 and 14). I am just trying to figure out what we are seeing when we crack open the eggs, in comparison to the posters. Maybe its my computer but it just looked pale yellow in the picture compared to the other eggs.
    I know I am asking a bunch of dumb questions, but a) its my first time incubating eggs and b) since its school involved, I wnat to make sure my girls have accurate information. We are doing lots of online reading, sometimes its conflicting and we like personal experience. Thanks!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by