1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

are they SERIOUS?!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hunterjumper999, Aug 26, 2010.

1. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Songster

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    I put a 50 lb feeder in my coop last night. In it i Have the following:

3 5 week old turkeys
    5 May Easter Eggers
    3 Cucko Marans
    1 adult buff hen
    1 adult EE hen

the feed is GONE

not a single seed on the ground either

i guess the plus side is I got 3 eggs from a pen that I was getting NONE since July in.

2. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Songster

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Wow, that is crazy! I have 22 chickens, and they go through a 50lb. bag in a week. I don't think I could afford to feed your guys![​IMG]

3. mboreham1

mboreham1 Songster

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    if i read that correctly, that is 13 birds, eating 50lb of food, that would have them at an average of 3.85lbs of food per bird - no way, absolutely no chance. Something else got in there or something like that, or i read this incorrectly

4. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Songster

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    I dont know.. I fed yesterday Am. It was a hanging bucket feeder. I mixed the starter and scratch, but they are not able to spill. the coop/run are secure... I gues mabe a tiny squirrel. [​IMG]

5. mboreham1

mboreham1 Songster

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    you said 50lbs right? That is a whole big bag of food? do you have a rubbermaid trash can modified to hold that much food?

6. pascopol

pascopol Songster

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I second to that, 3 turkeys and Marans could put some dent in the feed but no way they could eat that much, you have a unwanted visitor (s) eating your food. Have you checked for mice and rats?

I have 25 bantam chicks, 3 ducks, 35 quail, all eat about 125lb of feed a month.

7. justtoni44

justtoni44 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I use that in a week and have bout 40 or so...
    they are free range during the day and they get a lot of extra fresh fruits, vedgs and a little bread.
    We have squirrles and off and on rats...............we started making sure there was no feed laft out at night and that helped.

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Perhaps a large swarm of mice or rats?

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

no way, Jose... you've got company!

10. moondog425

moondog425 Chirping

Jul 29, 2010