Are they smart enough?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rainbowlake mama hen, Dec 1, 2010.

1. rainbowlake mama hen

rainbowlake mama hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    hi everyone...our temps will be getting into the 20's tonight and our 3 hens and one roo have been roosting on the open porch of their coop instead of going inside. Now, I am now totally sure if they stay there, but I am assuming they do since when I close them up (7pm tonight) that's where they were. I did put some straw on the porch behind the board they are roosting on but they are all perched right up there on top. Should I physically move them indoors where the straw and protection from the wind is?

2. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    I'm having a hard time visualizing your set up, but regardless yes, I'd move them in from the elements. My neighbor has gone out in the morning and found his chickens frozen on fences and in trees before. Frozen solid!!

3. rainbowlake mama hen

Oct 2, 2010
    [​IMG]

ok, on the right end of this "porch", I put up a board and some straw behind it because they were "sleeping" in the corner....pooping all over the place and making a general mess. I put up a board that they could roost on and put some straw behind it in case they wanted to sit in it...that's where they've been sleeping at night. I did put them in the coop a little while ago and closed them up. I'll keep doing it for awhile and hopefully they'll catch on. Thanks.

4. rainbowlake mama hen

Oct 2, 2010
    This picture by the way is from the summer. They are now MUCH bigger and we bought two more hens. They are not 4 months old.

5. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    Ah okay, the picture helps! But yes, I'd still bring them in. It's my understanding that wind/draft is what can really do a chicken in, so they need protection from the elements when it gets that cold. If my neighbor's experience is anything to go by, the answer to "are they smart enough?" is no!

ETA: Nice set up, BTW!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by