Are they supposed to fly?

futurefarmer08

Songster
11 Years
Nov 29, 2008
near Sac. Ca
Hi Everyone,
Just a quick and maybe silly question. My BC Marans chicks are 1 week. They have wing feathers and they are running about in their brooder and trying to fly. (so cute)
D.gif
Are they just exercising? Also, I know heat is very important to their health and development. Should I put them in another bigger brooder box? They are in one now that is 3 and a half feet long and about a foot high and 2 feet wide. There are only 4. I am expecting a lot more to hatch on Sunday though.
wee.gif
That will mean putting the brooder temp back to a warmer climate. There is a spot for them to get away from the heat but I think I will have to have 2 brooder boxes. Any advice? Are my chicks going to be flyers? Or are they just exercising? Thanks in advance.
clap.gif

I have meat birds and they fly pretty good too. My brooder ended up almost 3 feet high before they couldn't get out and before I took them out of the brooder. It sounds like you have enough space depending on how many more you get.

Chickens can fly just not very well. However they actually fly better when they are younger/lighter. It will be a little while before your chicks are flying though I can't remember how old mine were when they started escaping from their brooder. I think they were around 4-6wks old. Good luck with your chicks

yep, they'll zoom around fluttering. they're practicing for all sorts of stuff. probably like any other animal, learning to escape predators.

if you can put some chicken wire or something similar on top of the brooder, it will help keep then in.

well, if mine are any indication, chickens are pretty good flyers. at 4 weeks old, they escape as soon as the cover is taken off the brooder. watching my older brother, who professes to hate them, chase them around the house over the break was hilarious. I might set them loose on purpose next time just for kicks
gig.gif

Thanks everyone! Yeah, they are so cute! They are so proud of their new feathers and the fact that they can fly! They will cheap loudly until I come in their room and then they show me they can fly. I am amazed at how much they are able to do at such a young age. We do have chicken wire over the top of their cage. Yesterday we went in and found one of them sitting on top of the water jar. Like look what I can do.
LOL:clap at your brother chasing them around the house!! They are pretty good at escaping.

Back
Top Bottom