Are they Turkens or Naked Necks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Smartie_Pants, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    They go by both names, but which is commonly used? I got 7 from the feed store yesterday. They though there was something wrong with them! LOL! I was picking some out and I asked if they were .99 too and the woman said "Yeah, were letting them go for .99 because we think something is wrong with them. They don't have any fur on their necks!" I tried so hard not to laugh!

They are very sweet though. If you put your hand in the brooder they will hop up in it and set and they love being held. You can even reach in and pet them and they just stand there where as the other run.

[​IMG]

They are buffs right? Does anyone have any pics of their adult buffs?

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    LOL! It's amazing how someone who works at a feed store that sells chicks can know so little about them!

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    That's hilarious................ great bargain too. I just spent $3.99/chick at the feed store.................... [​IMG]

4. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    They seem to go by both names, I love mine, I call them Naked Necks, don't know why!

eta: to add pictures
    This is Special when she was 3 mos. in August, shes fuller built now of course but same buff color and great layer.
    eta AGAIN she was 3 mos in August, starting laying at 5 mos.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I think some are white. I didn't know they even came in buff. (?) The darker down on them throws me off, though. Hmm...

I call them turkens. Some people call them Naked Necked Turkens, so it's all the same thing really. .99? Wow, you really lucked out with these little guys! I love this breed!

Good luck with them! I'm glad they went to someone who didn't think they were just defective store products! What a hoot!

6. alyssa558

alyssa558 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    Durham, NC
    My naked neck (Madagascar Games) is my favorite chicken. Not only is she the cutest, she's the sweetest, too! My neighbor, who is kind of country, comes over to "get a look at that buzzard" all the time![​IMG]

7. iread

iread Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    South Carolina
    They are too cute!!! I get my babies tomorrow. I hope they are as cute as your's!

8. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    A couple are buff, but most are growing in feathers that are white with black on them. I got them at Rural King and they had Jersey Giants, Naked Necks, Barred Rocks, RIRs, and Partridge Cochins for .99 each. You had to buy at least 25 though.

9. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    What determines what color their necks become? I've seen red, tan, white, and black. Is it color coridinated or what?

Oh, and when mine eat, you can see the food in their crop! I feed them some scrambled egg a little while ago and it was so gross to see the egg in there. When does it become less transparent?

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ewwww, yet another reason for me not to get this breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by