Are Those Eco Labels at the Store Lying?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by vfem, Dec 1, 2009.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I think they are misleading for sure! I also think the FDA offers all the options as a price package point for farmers....

This lovely permit here costs: $$$$

While this one you don't have to meet those standards and costs: $$

Its a big old scam! And they work off our tax dollar. I really believe if they were properly regulated and inspected... there would be no need for costly permits and the farms would follow through.

Then again, we're talking a costly overhaul of the goverment.... lay off's would be nice! [​IMG]

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2009/11/your-eco-label-lying

You can find more eco, homesteading and gardening stuff on my blog!

http://fromseed.blogspot.com/2009/

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:If you are saying regulate and inspect the operations that sell to the public but leave the ones alone that are producing for their own use, I agree with you. And I firmly believe the labels have as much meaning as the integrity of the people involved. The certifying signature or stamp means nothing if the people involved are not honest. I worked in a private industry that required a lot of the material and manufacturing processes to be certified by worldwide recognized certifying authorities. As important as integrity and honesty was to their staying in business, I still found some people who were less than honest and some people who would tilt the regulations to follow their own agenda. You are dealing with humans and I've met a few humans that are not perfect.

I do not believe that the farms would follow through without tough regulation and inspection. I remember a person on here saying that his eggs were not inorganic, so he was advertising them as organic although he did not follow organic procedures. I also firmly believe you get what you inspect. Most of us cannot inspect the facilities that make a lot of the products we buy, so we have to rely on others to do that for us. I hate relying on others and would prefer to rely on myself, but in some things I have no option.

Considering their scope and instructions given by our elected officials, I think the FDA does a pretty good job, especially considering they have to rely on the different States to follow through on so much. They are supposed to keep America's food supply and other products safe, keep prices reasonable so we can afford the stuff, and follow international protocols so we can sell our produce on the international market, again at a price that people are willing to pay. Can you imagine our balance of payments or how many Americans would be out of work if we could not sell our products internationally? I believe the regulations are tilted toward the big companies since that is where most of the money is, but that is why we small people are granted so many exemptions. And can you imagine how hard it is to keep the products "safe" when you and I probably cannot agree what safe means? It gets complicated.

I probably took this a different direction than you intended and I apologize for that. I do believe it is up to us to understand what the labels mean and be guided accordingly. I also think the more popular a phrase is (green, free range, natural) the less it really means.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:If you are saying regulate and inspect the operations that sell to the public but leave the ones alone that are producing for their own use, I agree with you. And I firmly believe the labels have as much meaning as the integrity of the people involved. The certifying signature or stamp means nothing if the people involved are not honest. I worked in a private industry that required a lot of the material and manufacturing processes to be certified by worldwide recognized certifying authorities. As important as integrity and honesty was to their staying in business, I still found some people who were less than honest and some people who would tilt the regulations to follow their own agenda. You are dealing with humans and I've met a few humans that are not perfect.

I do not believe that the farms would follow through without tough regulation and inspection. I remember a person on here saying that his eggs were not inorganic, so he was advertising them as organic although he did not follow organic procedures. I also firmly believe you get what you inspect. Most of us cannot inspect the facilities that make a lot of the products we buy, so we have to rely on others to do that for us. I hate relying on others and would prefer to rely on myself, but in some things I have no option.

Considering their scope and instructions given by our elected officials, I think the FDA does a pretty good job, especially considering they have to rely on the different States to follow through on so much. They are supposed to keep America's food supply and other products safe, keep prices reasonable so we can afford the stuff, and follow international protocols so we can sell our produce on the international market, again at a price that people are willing to pay. Can you imagine our balance of payments or how many Americans would be out of work if we could not sell our products internationally? I believe the regulations are tilted toward the big companies since that is where most of the money is, but that is why we small people are granted so many exemptions. And can you imagine how hard it is to keep the products "safe" when you and I probably cannot agree what safe means? It gets complicated.

I probably took this a different direction than you intended and I apologize for that. I do believe it is up to us to understand what the labels mean and be guided accordingly. I also think the more popular a phrase is (green, free range, natural) the less it really means.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

I guess you are following me for sure! I just get upset about the thought of it all... I think they over regulate as it on EVERYONE. Treating the little guys as if he was industrial is just BS. If they stopped charging everyone flat across the board and put there regulating where it belongs, in the overly large companies that get away with so much because they pay what the government demands the problems would shrink right there. I mean really! Where are all these huge recalls coming from?! Fred the farmer from the farmers market in town?! I don't think so!

I'm tired of them acting like what they are doing IS working, and what isn't working can't be helped... its horrible, and unbelievable. Seals, labels permits and certifications are just a way to get $$$ and not do what they say anyways!

Maybe once they were... but with $$$ and popularity, they lost what they were put in place for.

HEALTH!

not Wealth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by