Are tiny little sneezes ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Peppermint, May 26, 2010.

1. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

I hear a few of my chickies doing this tiny little thing that I think is a sneeze. A tiny little puff of air. The one that does it the most is my Polish. Maybe a 2-3 times per hour, but they're so darn noisy that I can only hear it or notice it if I'm holding her. No goopy eyes, no other weird runny nose or respiratory symptoms. Just happy, crazy, 2 week old chicks. When is sneezing not ok?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If there are no bubbles and no runny eyes and nothing else to cause worry, I would not be concerned. Chickens have VERY different personalities and the develop as they grow.

3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    what does it mean if there are bubbles?

4. Peppermint

My Polish does have a very fun personality, and I only seem to hear it when she's up on the side of the cardboard box looking at me. Maybe she's trying to get my attention like my dog does!!! He sneezes too when he's really excited!

5. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    I had the same thing happen when I got mine. My fellow byc ers let me know that it was okay if there is no discharge from the eyes or nose. I think mine sneezed because of the woodchips I use in their bedding. It is dusty and even I sneeze when I am cleaning and refreshing their brooder box. Mine are now 7 weeks old and still sneeze from time to time.

6. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    I have one that sneezes when I throw scratch. I think she's so excited she eats it so fast and the little "sneeze" is like a cough. I try and hand feed her. I think she eats too fast.

7. Peppermint

Ok, good to know. They are all happy and mischievous, so I feel confident there is no illness going on. With the amount of dust they create from thier feathers, pine shavings, and rearrange-the-shavings-game *I* am sneezing non-stop!

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Just make sure that the bedding is dry, dry, dry! They can easily tip over waterers, and if the bedding is moist, it can quickly grow bacteria, which is what the main cause of respiratory illness is. Also, if you have several in a relatively small space, even their moist droppings can cause it to be too damp in the brooder.

If you make sure bedding is always dry, the chances you'll have any respiratory issues is almost nil!

(StormyMoon - bubbles in eyes CAN be a sign of Corzya)

9. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    Mine havent been sneezing, but they have just found a great new scratching game.
    One of them scratched through the pine shavings and hit the blue bottom of the tub that they are in... this is apparently the best discovery in the known universe! all of them are now trying to get a peck at the shiny blue bottom!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by