1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are tomatoes OK?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by whillergee, Apr 24, 2010.

1. whillergee

whillergee Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    I think I've heard that tomato leaves and plants aren't good for chickens (being nightshade plants), but are tomatoes OK to give them?

I have 7-week-old girls that looooove treats, and two babies that are still only on starter.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    The tomatoes themselves are fine and mine chickens absolutely LOVE them! [​IMG]

I would limit the tomato treats to the older chooks though. [​IMG]

3. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Last summer I was overloaded with both cherry tomatoes and regular tomatoes and I'd always throw a few in the run for them to munch on.. It was hilarious when one would grab a cherry tomato and play keep away with it... Just make sure you take the stems off and there is no green on the tomato... [​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

4. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed tomatoes to my chickens, red ones and green ones (like at the end of season, ones that didnt ripen) and they love them. just no stems/leaves.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mine love tomatoes.

Watch out for runny poop after they eat RIPE ones!

6. whillergee

whillergee Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks you guys - and I'm sure my girls will say thank you too!

7. kingsleycoop

kingsleycoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2014
    Just fed mine some the other day for their first time and they LOVED them. How often would you recommend? Once a week, or so?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by