Are Turkens good mothers???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bayouchica, Apr 12, 2007.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi yall, anyone have a Turken raise some chics?
    My special little hen Winglet is brooding some egg gourds in my old truck [​IMG] Anyways, I call her that cause she has never had all of her wing feathers develop,for whatever reason. [​IMG]
    She loves to ride in the truck around our place while she's sitting on her nest. [​IMG]
    I want to buy her some chics from the feed store 2 or 3 ... so are Turkens good mamas ?
    Here she is

[​IMG]

Thanks, Miriam

2. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    They do have that reputation, although not as good as silkies or cochins. However, you may want to move her nest!

3. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Oh yeah, I will, she's such a sweety. I've got a box that my Buff Orps have used to raise their babies in that is secure.

Thanks, Miriam

4. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    awwww! [​IMG] What a cutie! Hmmmm-- I have egg gourds too, maybe I should try that! What do you do with your's?

I am really loving my turkens! I just hatched a dozen from DonnaP!

5. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi Carole, Turkens are so sweet. Lot of folks can't believe a chicken looks like that. [​IMG]
    I haven't had much luck growing egg gourds here. Ones I had leftover I just tossed in some nestboxes.
    I guess some folks would paint those eggs gourds, I'm not to crafty myself. This year I'm growing some more birdhouse gourds, it's weird even the chickens liked to eat them.

Well have a nice day now,Miriam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by