Are turkey chicks hard to raise?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by cheyfrie26, May 9, 2011.

1. cheyfrie26

cheyfrie26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohio
    Are they?

2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    No.

You hear of disasters, like people losing 1/2 their poults to diseases. I guess it can happen, but I think they are no harder than chickens. Show them water, throw some high-protein starter at them, watch the temp, keep the brooder relatively clean, and away they go...

3. southerngamebirds1

southerngamebirds1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    northwest florida
    not really, just keep in mind they are not as hardy as chicks, but with that in mind, they havnt been difficult for me. i do like to have a chick with them,that way they seem to catch on quicker in my opinion. the only prob i have had w/them as adults is that nasty sinus stuff so common w/turkeys, but tylan solves this prob. i like heritage turkeys, they are so friendly and have goofy personalities (at least mine do)

4. scooldog

scooldog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    MICHIGAN
    What kind of "sinus stuff" do you get and what doseages of tylan do you use? I am hoping to hatch some turkeys (I had to get some cuz they were calling to me [​IMG] )..... in the coming weeks and don't know I know enough to keep em alive yet [​IMG]

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    They need a higher protein feed and for the first day, maybe two, they need more care to make sure they are eating and drinking but other than that I haven't found them any more difficult to brood than chicken chicks. I'm on my third hatch this season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by