Are turkey chicks hard to raise?

No.

You hear of disasters, like people losing 1/2 their poults to diseases. I guess it can happen, but I think they are no harder than chickens. Show them water, throw some high-protein starter at them, watch the temp, keep the brooder relatively clean, and away they go...

not really, just keep in mind they are not as hardy as chicks, but with that in mind, they havnt been difficult for me. i do like to have a chick with them,that way they seem to catch on quicker in my opinion. the only prob i have had w/them as adults is that nasty sinus stuff so common w/turkeys, but tylan solves this prob. i like heritage turkeys, they are so friendly and have goofy personalities (at least mine do)

What kind of "sinus stuff" do you get and what doseages of tylan do you use? I am hoping to hatch some turkeys (I had to get some cuz they were calling to me
woot.gif
)..... in the coming weeks and don't know I know enough to keep em alive yet
idunno.gif

They need a higher protein feed and for the first day, maybe two, they need more care to make sure they are eating and drinking but other than that I haven't found them any more difficult to brood than chicken chicks. I'm on my third hatch this season.

Back
Top Bottom