Are turkey hens loud?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by S0rcy, Apr 22, 2008.

1. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Considering a turkey or two for next year ... are the hens loud? Breed dependent? Are only male turkeys good for the quote unquote "thanksgiving dinner" ?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think if you want thanks giving dinner, you best go with a broad breasted type, unless of course a 14 lb turkey is ok.

3. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Hens are not nearly as loud as Toms. I have had both hens and toms for Thanksgiving. Hens just don't get as big as the Toms.

4. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! I think hens would be a good choice [​IMG] A 14 pounder would be just about right I think, a little more or less wouldn't be bad.

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    We love our turkey hens. They are quite and get along with the chickens. The tom that we have now is very loud, but it's that time of the year.
    Right now I have 18 eggs in the bator and 10 under two hens. Can't wait for the babies.[​IMG]

6. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    I don't know our queen hen can be very loud when shes bossing the guys around. She causes more trouble. trilling and carrying on. Crystal

7. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    my turkey hens are real quiet.i never hear them make any noise at all.my toms are all time gobbling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by