Are turkeys good for a weekend farmer?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by jcbrownacu, Oct 19, 2014.

1. jcbrownacu

jcbrownacu Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2014
    Richardson, TX
    Hey all! I was wondering if turkeys were something I could raise at my ranch, but im only there on the weekends. If so, any tips or sites you can direct me towards. I can pen them, protect them, whatever is necessary in order to do it. Thanks!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

My turkeys are very social creatures. When I come out the door they come running. When I do chores they walk alongside and behind me. If a person drives into the yard, they are there to greet them. I think, IMHO, if they did not have someone there daily they would not thrive.

As the other poster said, baby turkeys are fragile, but once they get to about 6 weeks, they are tough as nails.

4. jcbrownacu

Sep 7, 2014
    Richardson, TX
    I could raise them at home to be a few months old. I just don't think the neighbors in the city would appreciate the noise.

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Turkeys and noise start at a couple months.... They are great to have around. I am just not sure how they would do all alone for 5 days at a time.

I have no idea what kind of animal regulations you have, but hens are pretty quiet and very luvable.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  6. jcbrownacu

Sep 7, 2014
    Richardson, TX
    We have a nuisance law here. No regulations just once a neighbor complains then the city comes to inspect. Im only on a 1/6 acre lot though so I dont know if that is enough room?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by