Are turkeys louder than roosters? Other questions.. please answer. :)

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by safarichick101, Dec 19, 2009.

1. safarichick101

safarichick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    Hello all. I was just wondering if our situation sounds like a possible good home for turkeys.

We live on about 3 acres, but have are a corner property with 2 relatively busy roads. Our house is also next to a park. We have 12 chickens and one of them is a rooster but nobody complains. He crows at early hours as well. I was just wondering if this was a good situation for a possible future 2 turkeys or so.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I dont think they are as loud, but if the tom is trying to impress, they can be more constant.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    They are about the same, the problem you may have is toms tend to shock goggle a lot in the breeding season. Noise from the park, cars on the street, horns, doors slaming, etc, all these will make him go off, you be the judge of what you think people will tolerate. If it were me next to you, I'd tell ya to go for it, just depends on the neighbors...

4. safarichick101

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    We've talked to the new neighbors moving in to make sure they were OK with us raising chickens. And the Rich Estates cant here my rooster.. I've asked. And thats good cuz I always associate the richies with the complaints. I do want turkeys (I'm almost 14) and my birthday is on the thirtieth so I was wondering if I could ask for 2 for my bday. We're getting new hens in February anyway. If ya'll think its a bad idea, then I'll settle for ducks (or geese [​IMG]).

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    neither will be quiter than turkeys, I have them all, you'll probley be more at risk with geese than any of them. If you've checked around then I'd say go for it!

6. safarichick101

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    Okay. So I was thinking about getting royal palms or blue slates. I was going to try to breed them but if I must settle for only hens then that is fine with me. I do not want to butcher tho.. I'd rather be vegetarian.

7. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I would say they are not nearly as loud as a rooster. I do not mind the gobbling or the clucking, but I can't stand the crowing so if your neighbors do not mind the rooster I highly doubt they will mind the turkeys. I would ask first and get them anyway. I think royal palms would be a good choice since they are smaller birds and they are really pretty, let us know what you do.

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

As beautiful as my Royal Palms are,they are flighty,because they are a lighter bodied bird. They might not do well having 2 busy roads nearby.I have rescued them from over the fence a few times. On the other hand, My Blue Slates are so much larger & have tremendous appetites. They are much calmer too. Mine will trample over me for food.[​IMG]

9. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

This is Stanley, one of my Blue Slate toms. They are huge but very sweet. I love the blue slates. Good luck and have fun with whatever you choose!

10. safarichick101

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    hes gorgeous! Are turkey toms anything like roosters? Can they become aggressive towards people?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by