Are turkeys prey to hawks?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ticks, Jun 18, 2009.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I am very negative about this whole turkey thing. I only have one, so I am not sure what I am going to do with it. It will probably have a run for a little bit but then freerange and roost in the trees (which worries me deeply) So I would like to know if they are a danger to hawks like chickens are. Are hawks another thing I need to worry about?

2. Lu King

Lu King Songster

Dec 9, 2008
    On the Titanic
    I have a few turkeys myself, and am interested in what the responses will be. My turkeys are in cages right now, but I plan to let them range shortly. We do have hawks around. [​IMG]

3. Struttn1

Struttn1 Songster

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Young poults yes...adults no.

4. We keep ours in covered pens until they are old enough to go out with the flocks, about 5 months old. By then they are plenty big enough to fend for themselves.

Steve

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My adult Tom is my hawk deterrent.

6. Buster52

Buster52 Songster

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    I let my 5 young adult turkeys free range every day from dawn to dusk. We have hawks everywhere. Haven't lost a single one.

Out of curiosity, why are you negative about turkeys? I find them much easier to raise than my chickens.

7. pipermark

pipermark Songster

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    I lost all my turkeys to dogs, never to hawks, chickens yes, turkeys no. I will not get more turkeys, even though they were great to have around, because they could have avoided the dogs , flown away , up into the trees on top of my trailer, etc, but instead they allowed themselves to be massacred, dumb birds, miss em though.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: