are turkeys usually this calm??

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Ducklove334, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    This is our first time ever having turkeys, we got two pullet poults, and they LOVE to lay in your hand or on your lap, and be petted, they fall asleep in minutes!

I've always heard turkeys are like guinea keets, and are very spazzy.

but these girls love thier cuddles already!

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    The more you handle them the more friendly they will be. Don't believe what you hear about turkeys until you see it for yourself. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

3. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

ummm..... I think so [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    they are 2 weeks old in these pics

4. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Dawn,
    I want to see the same pics when they get about 20 pounds. [​IMG]

Steve

5. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] 20 POUNDS!!?????!!!!! [​IMG]

oh my.. I thought these ladies would top the scales at 12 maybe 14lbs!!! I could still do it now... did it today when they got their pullorum/typhoid test... but yeah... LOTS BIGGER

but they are SOOOOO cute still even...

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll tell you, hearing this makes me feel better, I get a full grown tom and pullet (?) - I wonder what I got myself into. I pick them up tomorrow morning and looking forward to it! [​IMG] we have a 3 hour ride with them, tell me its going to be easy! please Lie to me!!!
    [​IMG]
    (ps- they have been handled, and from a BYC woman...can't wait!)

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Mine were the same way when they were babies [​IMG]

8. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] 20 POUNDS!!?????!!!!! [​IMG]

oh my.. I thought these ladies would top the scales at 12 maybe 14lbs!!! I could still do it now... did it today when they got their pullorum/typhoid test... but yeah... LOTS BIGGER

but they are SOOOOO cute still even...

that's about right for BR hens

9. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Just close your eyes, tap your heals together 3 times and chant "everybody loves a turkey, everybody loves a turkey, everybody loves a turkey".

And it will be ok. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

10. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks Steve, glad you wrote this after we left this morning! Actually they rode well, the pullet was not happy and the tom was doing circles in hopes that clicking his heals he would be back home, but 3-4 hour car ride, DH reacting to the shavings and spilled water cause I would give them a small dish of water and food while we stopped, and by the time they circled to see the people looking at them while we was in having coffee, again another spill of water.
    They are beautiful, the Tom is a good 30 lbs, strong as the day is long, wow! The pullet is 1/2 his size, but if I can get them to trust me, they will be neat to have as a gaurd dog!
    At some point I'll put up a few pics and introduce them! Thank you for letting me ride on your pets article body, I'm glad to see your pics, really awsome! I hope someday to have these guys I have eat out of my hand, not even sleep! lol.
    I'll keep you all posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by