1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are tuxedo coturnix....(if anyone is awake)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jfulcher, Aug 2, 2011.

1. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Jumbo or normal size??? What weight do they usually reach???

2. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    I'm awake but have no clue [​IMG]

3. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:LOL well thanks [​IMG]

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I think they can be either depending on the lines bred. That being said I only have one tux and she's normal sized.

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Tuxedo coturnix are from the Rosetta pattern, so they will not be anything in the "JUMBO" weight class.

They will be a very "NORMAL" size, however very pretty birds. Jumbo birds come from the "WILD" pattern birds. They can even be white as long as they are from the wild pattern birds.

6. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Tuxedo is a COLOR PATTERN of the Coturnix . i have BOTH standard size and Jumbo size Tux. it's all dependant on your selection of breeders really...

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    It all depends on how they were bred. There are many varieties within the tuxes: the ranges (tibetan, Rosetta), red range, scarlett, gold, even roux dilute...

8. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    It all comes down to the breeder they came from. some people work to breed all their colors to jumbo size range (after all jumbo is a weight category that all), so it depends on if it was bred to that standard, or just for looks

9. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Well the guy accidentally gave me an extra male... Is this going to pose a problem have 2 males in the pen w/ 2 females?

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You may have some balder hens. I have more than one male in my breeding pens but more girls. There shouldn't be a huge problem if they were raised together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by