Are two roosters OK for a flock of 20 hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Vinhos, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Vinhos

Vinhos New Egg

Jan 22, 2010
    I recently inherited a small flock of older (3-4 yr-old) Araucana and RIR hens along with their faithful rooster....eight laying hens and the cockerel. I have plenty of space and am thinking of expanding the flock with an additional 12 birds that I plan to order this spring. In my chicken fever I've been doing a little online research and quickly came to this fantastic forum. Although I'm ordering sexed females, I know from previous experience to anticipate at least one male in the bunch. Was wondering if anyone had experience with more than one rooster in a flock this size and whether or not it is a good idea. All of the birds will live in the same coop.

On a similar note, are 20 hens too many for a single rooster to keep fertilized?

Thanks for the advice.

2. bubblebean11

bubblebean11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    20 min N of Denver
    I think 1 roo for 8-10 hens is about right. Good luck, so much fun!!!

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    1 roo to 20 hens is pushing it for fertility...you could probably get away with 4 or so roos

4. Quadog

Quadog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2009
  5. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    are you concerned about fertility or fighting, if its fighting your worried about don't, i'v got 4 roosters and 3 hens in my current pen with few problems. as for fertility, i clearly wouldn't know...

6. kota1369

kota1369 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Two roosters are ok for a flock of 20 hens. No problem.

the lady with the 4 dogs and city chickens

7. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    from what ive read i believe that 1 roos hens will b with him and roo2 will take his hens so there wont be fighting because they both have their own girls
    *DISCLAIMER* i dont own any roos this is just what ive heard plz dont hold me responsibe [​IMG]

8. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    We have something in common. My primary breed is RIR. I have 2 roosters for my 40something hens. I also have 3 americana hens and a few araucanas. Now when you say you have araucanas, you mean you have tufted, rumpless araucanas? Because if so, I would diffinetely segregate them. They are hard to come by.

9. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from MO !! [​IMG]

10. quiltnchik

quiltnchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    I have 3 roos and 11 hens and everyone gets along fine. They all seem to have established a pecking order and the hens are not being over-bred and/or mistreated by the boys. The boys also don't squabble much; the head rooster keeps his place and the other two know to give him a wide birth. You'll be fine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by