1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are "vegetables and fruits" good food for my chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ameer894, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Ameer894

Ameer894 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2013
    Hi people
    When I go to buy vegetables and fruits from the store I ask the owner up there to give me some mature vegetables or fruits that he can't sell but still edible !!
    Is it a good food supply for my chickens? What should I ask him to give me?I mean what chickens do prefer the most?
    [​IMG]
    Best regards :) thank you

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Veggies and fruits are excellent chicken food, provided they are not infested or moldy. IME, the favourites are:

Tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Watermelon
    Carrot
    Pumpkin
    Celery
    Lettuce
    Apple

But just about anything goes. My chickens won't touch citrus fruits, however. Lots of greens like grass and celery are great for their health, so make sure they get plenty especially if they are confined to a run like mine are. They seem to love moist and watery foods like watermelon, but too much obviously causes loose bowel [​IMG] (so go easy on melons). A little minced garlic is good for their health too. I hang the fruit and veggies in one of those hanging plant baskets to keep it clean and out of the dirt.

Hope this helps.

3. Ameer894

Ameer894 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2013
    Thank you genius !!
    I will do by your instructions Inshalla ...
    Today I will pick the best I can find there!
    I'll keep it clean from dirt too
    I really feel so good because I found such a realible information, it's very important to be sure that the checkens are getting all elemnts their bodys need

4. kate86

kate86 New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    Is it best to keep the food off the floor when you feed them? the chickens i feed take food out the bowl and then eat it off the floor.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Is it "best"?
    Yes

Does it matter?
    NO

The chickens don't care either way

6. kate86

kate86 New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    Ok. thankyou.

7. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    I only hang the food up so I don't step on it. [​IMG] It's not for the chickens' sake, believe me!

8. goodb

goodb Chillin' With My Peeps

excellent question/idea

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Chickens are made to eat off the ground. Feeders are human ideas.

Pretty much any fruit/veggie is good for chickens. Individual birds may not like different things, but I toss all leftovers/kitchen waste to the flock, except onion peels cause they just won't eat them.

10. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    Vegetables, fruits and scraps are pretty much harmless to chickens. They don't need their food kept clean. They'll virtually eat anything, the problem is just keeping them away from what they shouldn't eat. Although avocado isn't supposed to be healthy for them, I've never given it to them, and wouldn't know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by