Are very under-ripe pears safe for hogs to eat?

drowe005

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Corapeake NC
I've got a huge pear tree that had the top 2/3 of the tree broken off in a major storm the other day, and the broken part literally has over 300 golfball-sized pears on it. I'm hoping to not waste all of these under ripe pears and was hoping it would be safe to feed these in moderation to my hogs. Is this safe to feed to them? Have you fed these super small under-ripe pears to animals (or more specifically hogs) before? Thanks in advance for any input!

I don't know why not. Hogs can and will eat virtually anything. If they find them unpalatable they will likely leave them alone.
I haven't purposely fed them but I've seen hogs eat so many things, that under ripe pears can't possibly hurt them.

I've not fed pears, but mine have eaten more than their share of un ripe apples over the years with no problems. Depending on the size of the hog, just start easy and feed more as they tolerate them.

Thanks for the input from you both. I figured it would be OK ,but just wanted to check as I have heard of some fruits/plants being poisonous at certain stages in the growth process. My hogs are in the 200-250 lb range so not full grown, but not babies anymore either.

Back
Top Bottom