Are We All Hoarders???????

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chica57, Aug 4, 2010.

1. chica57

chica57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Last night I was trying to find something to watch on TV and came across Animal Planet (i usually dont watch it-not sure why!) they had a show Hoarding-Animals. I watched it and could understand how that could happen with animals as lng as there fed and taken care of properly-then I thought OMG I think we are all chicken hoarders and we all enable each other-what do you think????? This is my second year for ever having chickens - this year I added 11 - I was originally only going to get 3 frizzles - I had been searching and through my search I ended up coming home with 11 adorable assorted little chicks and my DH says "Wheres the frizzles?" I said "Ooopsie!" So after getting my new babies in April - one became ill took me a month to get it back to health finding out 1 is a rather handsom roo and getting them finally out to the coop to meet all there new sisters (which is still a work in progress) I said to my DH today "I going to try to find my Frizzles now" So I MIGHT be a Hoarder in the making!!!!! [​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Nah...well, maybe just me.

Hoarding is a sickness in which you give up everything for your animals. Food, healthcare, friends, family, etc. It's an unhealthy addiction that you can't shake.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I easily could be.... [​IMG]

4. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    I gave up my social life for my animals... but that was a good thing in my case. Sometimes, like tomarrow, I give up sleep for them too. Isn't that what you are supposed to do? Take care of their needs before your own? I mean, if you had somewhere to be exceptionally early... would you just NOT feed the chickens, goats, cats, dogs just so you don't give up anything like sleep? or maybe go out every weekend - all weekend, while ignoring your dog who is lonely at home?

Nope. I think giving up things is part of the deal. Or it should be.

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Most definitely I am we have 16 chickens, 10 more on the way, 2 ducks, 4 dogs, 7 rats (daughters) and 1 hampster [​IMG]

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Animal hoarders take on so many animals that they can NOT even start to care for, and continue to get more animals anyway. Hence they have so many animals that never receive needed routine care. Dogs on chains with uncomforably overgrown toenails, mangey with fleas, no vax, barely enough food or water, etc. or worse.

Just because I have a high number of animals does not make me a hoarder. When you get so many animals that their care starts suffering - then you might have a problem, but if you recognize the problem and downsize you are ok. It's when you don't think there is a problem and you continue to bring on more animals that it is a problem.

Mere numbers mean nothing.

7. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Quote:i know... I was being a cheeky monkey a bit.. [​IMG]

Did you see the "allanimals" that came out most recently? Gross how some peopl live... how do they not know something isn't right with that?

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm way too paranoid about Code Enforcement to be a hoarder...

Three Dogs, Four Chickens, One Betta... DS had a gerbil but he passed Monday.

That's it for us until the Someday Plans can be effected.

9. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

3 geese, 17 hens, 2 chicks, 24 meaties, 3 turkeys, 4 ducklings, 8 big ducks... hoarding? no way... [​IMG]

10. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Just look at my signature - lol. I can see myself @ 80, crazy and senile - with a house/yard full to the brim and sitting on the porch with a shotgun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by