Are we both roo's? (More pics added)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bzbrown, Jun 12, 2011.

1. bzbrown

bzbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, one of these chickens started making new noises upon human wake up time last week. This has gone on daily since. Not an issue, they are in the living room, but the husband and I are up early regardless. Anyway, we thought the noise was coming from the RIR, but then my husband said he watched the Wyn do it. Today I also saw the Wyn make the noise. We have no idea who is what, although I'm suspecting they might both be roo's...

The noise sounds as if it's an attempt to crow. More like a throat clearing type sound, but whatever it is, slowly getting louder and stronger lol.

Big Red and Sam
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    How old are they?
    The RIR is definitely a roo.

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Yep, those both look like Roos.

4. bzbrown

They are 11 weeks old. The Wyn is very mean and jumpy, doesn't care much for me holding her/him. The RIR is the sweetest guy ever. He lets my hold him, and sits for a good petting. He doesn't run like a crazy person when I come in his direction like the Wyn.

I don't know how well we'll be able to keep roo's being in a neighborhood. I also don't know what the other chicks are, and I'm afraid to ask now lol.

I do know that in the future I'll be ordering my chickens.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Yup, both are certainly roos.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    roos sorry:( If your posting photos again get some good side shots so we can see all the goods to make sure [​IMG]

7. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Your Big Red looks just like my Red. [​IMG]
    He started crowing @ 13 weeks old.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, both are boys.

9. bzbrown

Here are side pictures of both Big Red and Sam. Also since I'm feeling brave, what are the thoughts on the Silkies I'm posting? My husband is just laughing about all this. I had told him when I asked about us getting chicks that if we ended up with roosters we'd rehome them. Well I really like Big Red, he's so darn sweet, Sam is mean and I wouldn't have a hard time emotionally parting from him/her. I'm hoping ya'll don't tell me I have 4 roosters :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by